With football season approaching there is going to be a lot of talk about the sport. Even if you aren’t a big fan of the the most popular team sport in America it is important to know a few facts to help you get through the fall. Below are 5 facts about football that will help you feel like a seasoned football fan.
What fun football facts would you like to add to the list?
1. American football is a sport derived from English sports like soccer and rugby. It became popular on American college campuses in the late 1800’s. The first intercollegiate game was played in 1869 when Rutger’s defeated Princeton.
2. Coach, Walter Camp is known as the father of American Football because he helped make the rules in 1876.
3. There are 32 teams in the NFL and they all play for the Vince Lombardi trophy which is given to the winning team of the Super Bowl. There are about 120 college football teams and they are divided into 11 conferences. The ultimate goal for any college football team is to win the national college football championship game and receive the college football playoff national championship trophy.
4. American football is predominantly a male sport, but a women’s professional league is trying to form and there have been more female place kickers on highschool and college teams. This year Sarah Thomas, became the first female full time official for the NFL and Jen Welter became the first woman to coach an NFL game.
5. The winners of the last Superbowl (number 49) were the New England Patriots. They defeated the Seattle Seahawks who were the winners of the Superbowl 48. The 2014 college football champions were the Ohio State Buckeyes. They defeated the Oregon Ducks. To see the 2015 preseason rankings for both NFL and college football click on the links below.
ESPN 2015 NFL Power Rankings
ESPN College Football Rankings